Monday, July 27, 2009

My Favorite Places

Triplets?

Neighbors


Mineral Springs Falls, Highland Mills, N.Y.

This was one of my favorite places to hang out when I was a kid. My own kids were wowed by it. I was happy to have them experience this place. You have to walk a trail for about ten minutes to get to it. All I told my boys was that they would hear and feel it before they saw it. Because the falls are spring fed it is soooo cold, the air temperature drops as you get closer to it. Our feet were numb after standing in the water for about 30 seconds. What I love about the Hudson Valley region is that these kinds of places are everywhere. There was a whole art movement based on the landscape of this area. Maybe some day I will be able to paint here, I hope so.What kind of makes me sad is all the development taking place obscuring panoramic views.
The wildlife are at odds with the encroachment into their territory. We went to visit my sister in Pennsylvania, she had mentioned the Deer and how they were like pets, not fearful of people. Well seeing is believing. A doe appeared from the woods to visit one of the neighbors and a little while later she was back with these three fawns, too cute. We didn't know if she was the mother of all three or maybe a surrogate mom to one of them, so many deer are killed daily by cars. We didn't know if Deer could have triplets. Does anyone know?

No comments: