Thursday, July 8, 2010

Reocurring Objects


"Special Things" 6"x8" Oil

I was in the middle of setting up a still life when I realized how I reach for certain objects that I have painted hundreds of times before, for example, Christmas ornaments, ribbons, a couple favorite old vases, pansies, and clementines to name a few. It's not that I don't have enough stuff to choose from, my favorite hobby is looking for more stuff. I think it's that I'm naturally drawn to these objects, and what they can do in a set up. I wonder if this is a crutch or just my style and the thing that makes my work recognizable? I wonder if any of you do this also and what do you use over and over?

1 comment:

Carolina Elizabeth said...

I have a set of porcelain rice bowls that I love. I know I should work on other objects, but they just always seem to be "just was needed" in that still life.